Monday, April 13, 2009

What's With the Egg?

Easter is an event that is just too amazing to wrap my mind around. While I do feel that I could give my life for another person (maybe I'm morbid in that way). I really can't imagine taking their blame and letting it separate me from God (even if only for a min.). That is just too much of a sacrifice. Yet, that's what Jesus did for me... and he was closer to God than any one of us has ever been... I can't even imagine the pain of that separation. He sacrificed EVERYTHING so that I could live forever in glory. And what happened next???? Even more exciting... HE CAME BACK TO LIFE... dude! Like I said, I can't seem to wrap my mind around it.

So, with that being said, you will understand why I'm a bit annoyed. The American church has just added pagan festivities to their own. With sermons on "what the egg means to the Christian" and Easter egg hunts in the Church, how are we separating ourselves from every one else? How are we communicating the truly amazing gift that "Easter" has brought us?

If you want to take your kids out in your back yard and hunt easter eggs, or decorate your house with bunnies, that's your call. It's your family, your house, and your own convictions. But, to me, the church has no place to sponsor these activities (I think the message that is sends is confusing). Sure, maybe it's fun, maybe more people will come if we tone down the message... but in the end will they see Jesus or just the easter bunny?

No comments: