Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Game Night


Our Ministry right now, and for the last 2 1/2 years, has been with the High School kids that come to our "game night". Game night is at our house every friday night. It's purpose is to provide the local kids a place to go on friday nights (instead of partying). 

It stemmed out of my own high school experience. See I grew up (went to high school) in the same little town that we live in today. In high school I had very little to do on friday nights. And all of my friends were up in the woods parting. That just didn't sound appealing to me. ... If you know Portola, you know it closes at around 8:00 (maybe earlier). I had always wished that there was an alternative. I believe that some of my friends, that were going to the parties, wished there was too.

Well now there is!

We do everything from making watermelon masks (thanks to Max), to juggling (lessons from Danny), to gambling (with pennies), to killer bunnies (addictive game), to breaking out the instruments (well everybody but me). We started with two kids coming over and hanging out and it has now turned into 15 kids (and counting). We believe this is the call on out life at them moment, and call us crazy, but we LOVE it.

I believe this is what it looks like for God to change our desires and make them his own (if we let him). It is a wonderful thing that God gives us our passions and uses them for his glory!

No comments: